- First Mover Advantage: First to recognize petrolithium potential and implement model
- Aggressive Acquisition: Over 1.7 million acres of brine-bearing formations acquired to date
- Partnerships In Place: Agreements with major oil and gas companies to conduct well sampling
- Proprietary Design Process: Filed U.S. Provisional Patent #62/419,011
- Proof of Concept: Successfully extracted lithium from oilfield brine using proprietary process
Provisional Patent #62/419,011
In November 2016 MGX filed U.S. Provisional Patent #62/419,011 (Method for Extraction of Lithium from Salt Brine). The patent application is extensive and comprehensive in its description of a modern industrial process specifically designed for highly-mineralized brines associated with oilfields to concentrate lithium and other valuable minerals.
Proof of Concept
In January 2017 MGX and PurLucid Treatment Solutions reported they had successfully extracted lithium from heavy oil evaporator blowdown wastewater originating from the Alberta oil fields (see press release dated January 3, 2017). Laboratory testing continues to upgrade the design process- Phase II testing successfully upgraded brine from 67mg/L Li to 1600mg/L Li in the filtration and pre-treatment phase of the extraction process (see press release dated March 6, 2017).
Lithium carbonate concentrated from Sturgeon Lake oilfield
brine using MGX's patent-pending proprietary design process.